• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

December 01, 2021, 10:04:55 PM

News:

WELCOME TO THE NEW ARCHIVE SITE. This contains all forum data from 2004 to July 2013

Setting up a VPN ?

Started by ash, April 23, 2013, 12:11:33 PM

ash

How secure is it on Windows, how easy is it to get the thing through a router firewall etc (Belkin on both ends) ? Will anyone else be able to see the Lan on either end ?

We have some 3D modelling oftware in work which I'd like to be able to use on my laptop at home to help me get up to speed on it

Background to this.....the PC which it resides on in work is also the license server so I need to access it across the net if i install an instance of the software on my laptop.

Ta muchly :)

If you manage to keep a cool head when all around you are losing theirs, it is probably because you haven't grasped the seriousness of the situation !

aussiezx636

Easiest way.

Just use some software like logmein or Teamviewer.

Secure remote access without the hassle. You can do everything and more that you will require without the need for a complex VPN..

My two pence.

ash

I was using Team Viewer the other day with the co who sold us the software. isit possible to log in remotely to do this ?
If you manage to keep a cool head when all around you are losing theirs, it is probably because you haven't grasped the seriousness of the situation !

PJ

If you install Teamviewer on both machines you can use the VPN addin to connect over a VPN between the PC's using an "internal" IP address. Teamviewer secures the transmission and you can then RDP the other PC, file transfer or connect direcly over the VPN.

Only downside is for "business use" you are supposed to pay for it.

ash

Well strictly speaking, I've got a couple of 'foreigners' I'd like to draw up, and need to play around with in my own time.

There is just a hell of a lot of functions in the software I need to get my head around, and I'm struggling to do it in the time I'm allocated to use in in works time.

Thanks for the tip though.I'll look at that :cool: